EIT InnoEnergy: pioneering change in sustainable energy
EIT Inno Energy was designated as a Knowledge and Innovation Community (Innovation Community) by the EIT's Governing Board on 16 December 2009 in Budapest. The priority area which this Innovation Community addresses is sustainable energy.
To build a sustainable long-lasting operational framework among the three actors of the knowledge triangle in the energy sector: industry, research and higher education, and ensure that this integration of the three is more efficient and has a higher impact on innovation (talent, technology, companies) than the three standing alone.
To become the leading engine for innovation and entrepreneurship in sustainable energy.
- Pan-European: We cover and capitalise the fascinating diversity of Europe
- Integrative: We ceaselessly co-operate, integrate, synthesise, melt, merge
- Entrepreneurial: It’s in EIT InnoEnergy’s DNA to be entrepreneurs for sustainability
- Impact-oriented: Everything we do is directed to create the maximum impact
- Excellence-driven: We thrive to be the best, work with and create the best ones
- Visionary: We dare to be visionary, to think beyond boundaries, to scrutinise rules
- Passionate: We are bursting to develop cutting-edge-solutions & optimum results
- Sustainable: We are here to stay. We care and work for the energy-future of Europe
Where are we?
EIT InnoEnergy is a world class alliance of top European players with a proven track record. Six regional European Innovation Hubs make up the consortium.:
- Alps Valleys
- InnoEnergy Central Europe
The challenge is big but our goal is simple: to achieve a sustainable energy future for Europe
EIT InnoEnergy‘s mission is to build a sustainable, long-lasting operational framework among the three actors of the knowledge triangle in the energy sector: industry, research and higher education, and ensure that the integration of the three is more efficient and has a higher impact on innovation (talent, technology, companies) than the three standing alone. Its objective is to become the leading engine for innovation and entrepreneurship in sustainable energy.
EIT InnoEnergy comprises around 200 partners who are top European players in industry, research institutes, universities and business schools. EIT InnoEnergy is about securing Europe’s global competitiveness in the field of energy technologies. Close networking of all partners speeds up commercialisation and generates new energy products.
Establishment as a European Company – Clear structure allows for lean management and the measurement and evaluation of the targeted output
EIT InnoEnergy SE is run like a business through a flexible and effective organisational structure and with a sound and monitored business plan, focused on results. About one quarter of EIT InnoEnergy's budget will be funded from other sources with substantial contribution from the EIT InnoEnergy partners. The EIT will finance EIT InnoEnergy in a first phase with about EUR 30 million annually.
Clean coal and gas technologies: We are encouraging innovation that will:
- Help reduce emissions of CO2 , NOx, SOx and particulate matter
- Make best use of biomass, waste and unconventional gases as well as fossil fuels
- Support CO2 capture and storage
Energy storage: We are encouraging innovation in large and small-scale storage that will:
- Help integrate renewable energy into the electricity grid
- Enable a more distributed and responsive distribution system
- Improve stability across the grid
Energy efficiency: We are encouraging energy efficiency in buildings and industry that together account for more than 50 per cent of the EU’s energy consumption, and at least 33 per cent of its CO2 emissions
Energy from chemical fuels: We are encouraging innovative solutions that:
- Support efficient conversion of feedstocks into energy-dense carriers like synthetic fuels.
- Enable these fuels to be used in combustion systems, power plants, distribution and storage chains.
- Control fuel conversion processes to minimise emissions and maximise energy efficiency
Renewable energies: We are encouraging innovation that:
- Improves the production, penetration and profitability of renewable energy
- Continues to develop all forms of solar technology
- Improves reliability, accuracy and integration of onshore and offshore wind
- Increases performance, lifespan and scalability of wave power
Smart and efficient buildings and cities: We are fostering innovation that:
- Enables energy-positive homes and commercial buildings
- Encourages energy-saving behaviours at home and at work
- Smart electric grid: We are encouraging new solutions that:
- Enable information, communication and analytics capabilities on a large scale
- Support enhanced cyber-security and critical infrastructure protection
- Increase control over intermittent sources of electricity
Sustainable nuclear and renewable convergence: We are fostering innovation in:
- Advanced materials and processes for nuclear and renewable sources
- Energy efficiency in industrial and manufacturing sectors
- Instrumentation, measurement and control systems for nuclear power
- Shareholders: 26
- Project partners: 299
- Early start-ups supported: 171
- External investment raised: EUR 55 million
- New companies created: 95
- Products and services supported: 83
- Patents filed: 77
- Graduates from Master's School: 494
- Educational courses offered: Seven Master’s programmes, a PhD school, and Executive and Post-Master’s education
- Applicant's for Master's School: 11 000