Nominated by: EIT Digital
- Key words: Online platform to book live music
- Project aim: To connect organisers and live music artists in order to bring more live music into the world.
- EIT Community connection: EIT Digital Master’s School graduate (TU Delft and Aalto University, 2013-2015)
- The idea: Plugify is an online platform that enables people to view, listen to and book live music artists. The platform contains all types of artists, including bands, DJs, ensembles and soloists. Plugify makes booking a gig ridiculously easy, providing the artists with the podium that they deserve.
- USPs: Plugify connects supply and demand in the live music industry, creating value for both sides of the equation. The booker gains direct access to a broad variety of live music artists, while the artists gain exposure to a wide audience.
- EIT Community support: During my Masters, the EIT Community showed me that starting your own business is actually very exciting. I had the opportunity to explore the entrepreneurial field by doing entrepreneurial IT projects and working at start-ups. This experience immediately paid off when I graduated.
- The future: My dream is that, in 10 years’ time, whenever people think of live music, they think of Plugify. I want people all over the world to use the platform and love it.
- The beginning: I’ve had an affinity with IT since I was a kid and having played piano for more than six years, I’ve also developed an interest in making music. It was entrepreneurship that helped me to combine these two passions and work in the most exciting fields in the world: music, entertainment and IT.
- Joining the EIT Community: The main reason was the desire for adventure. At some point in my studies, I realised that I wasn’t going to learn much more if I stayed at the same place. I wanted to meet new people, hear new ideas and see something new.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: My interest in entrepreneurship only started a couple of years ago, but I’ve always wanted to make a difference in the world. Whenever I saw an inefficient process, I wondered ‘why does nobody improve it? Why don’t people invest energy into making things better, faster, safer?’ When I grew up I realised there are lots of factors holding back change. Now I have my own business and nobody is going to hold me back.
- Game-changing European entrepreneurs: Geert-Jan Bruinsma, the founder of Booking.com. He realised the importance of using online platforms to purchase goods and services back in 1996, which is impressive.
- Dream job: I’d like to spend a week at Airbnb to see how they do business and develop their product. Airbnb inspired me a lot during the very early stages of Plugify. I’m sure I could learn a lot from them about how I can scale the business and the platform.