Discover the causes and impact of food waste, and learn how you can tackle it on a personal, community, and national level. You can sign up today for this free, three-week-long online course.
Become an agent of change
Explore how combating food waste and food loss can help the environment. More and more people are aware of the link between the food system and climate change while consumers are increasingly concerned about food waste. This will be an opportunity to learn and discuss your ideas with fellow environmentally conscious citizens.
Our educators will show how you – as a consumer – can act and inspire others to reduce food waste effectively and sustainably. You’ll learn what food waste is, why it matters, and gain practical information on how to be an agent of change both personally and politically. You’ll also discover how the circular economy provides a framework for discovering solutions to this issue, and hear from companies that are making a difference.
Who should join the course?
This course would appeal to environmentally conscious citizens who are worried about the way the Earth’s resources are currently being used and want to get a better understanding of the problem in order to take action to tackle it. This would include employees in the food sector, restaurant owners and chefs, and concerned consumers.
When can you join?
The course will be available all year round from 6 February 2023 onwards.
What you'll learn
Once completed, you will be able to:
- Evaluate the causes of food loss and food waste and assess the effect on the planet in terms of food security, sustainability, and climate change
- Reflect on your own personal contribution to the problem and explore the potential of the waste hierarchy and the circular economy to suggest solutions
- Investigate how changes in the way we shop, cook, and store food can help reduce food waste
- Collaborate to produce actionable changes that can make an impact on your own community
- Compare the practices of different retailers and discover the innovations that are helping them to reduce waste
- Engage with the policies of national governments and the EU and help improve the sustainability of the food system in your country
What else do you get from the course?
EIT Food is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- All articles, videos, peer reviews, and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- A PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success once you've completed the course
It's easy to sign up. Our educators are ready to show you how you can stop food waste when you're ready!