EIT Urban Mobility
A European initiative to create liveable urban spaces
EIT Urban Mobility is an initiative of the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT). Since January 2019, EIT Urban Mobility has been working to encourage positive changes in the way people move around cities in order to make them more liveable places. We aim to become the largest European initiative transforming urban mobility. Co-funding of up to EUR 400 million (2020-2026) from the EIT, a body of the European Union, will help make this happen.
Mission and Vision
Using our cities as living labs, EIT Urban Mobility's industry and university partners will demonstrate how new technologies can work to solve real problems in real cities by transporting people, freight and waste in smarter ways.
EIT Urban Mobility's programmes support its vision of creating more liveable urban spaces. By fostering innovation and transformation, quality of life can be improved, decarbonise mobility and make Europe’s economy more competitive.
This partnership is all about inspiring and enabling the move towards more liveable urban spaces, dedicated entrepreneurial talent and competitive mobility businesses. EIT Urban Mobility aims to build a prosperous future for our cities.It will create an innovation community to educate and inspire mobility solutions for 21st century cities. We will avoid fragmentation by encouraging all urban mobility players to work together — with cities and citizens at its heart — and increase social inclusion and equality.
EIT Urban Mobility's approach
Urban mobility is always under pressure. Future challenges ahead include growing urban populations, how to build and maintain infrastructure, the economic and environmental costs of congestion, demands for greater accessibility and safety, and the question of how to improve air quality. Based on a thorough analysis, EIT Urban Mobility will address eight societal and urban mobility challenges.
We will meet these challenges through the activities of the City Club, Academy, Innovation, Business Creation and Factory.
This will be achieved by:
- Enabling change: address the challenges of urban sustainable growth as well as transportation network decongestion, for more liveable urban spaces by creating a platform and network of high-ranking European and global cities for collaboration, best practice sharing as well as up-scaling and deployment of solutions.
- Building capacities: train the next generation of urban mobility practitioners. Through various formats, all target groups are addressed, enabling a holistic understanding of urban mobility and aiming to overcome fragmentation in the education system.
- Creating options: leveraging and upgrading ideas for deployment through innovation projects. EIT Urban Mobility’s innovation projects will be challenge-driven, market-based and solution oriented. They will contribute to overcoming the challenges of eco-efficient and safe urban transport, data exploitation and regulatory and behavioural change.
- Delivering solutions: enable and activate the brightest European start-up teams considering new applications, business model systems, and data for the advancement of the urban mobility world. EIT Urban Mobility will develop a start-up friendly environment, which gives access to customers, partners and infrastructure.
Challenge 1 (C1)
Achieving sustainable urban growth
Challenge 2 (C2)
Decongesting our transport networks
Challenge 3 (C3)
Growing interdisciplinary talent
Challenge 4 (C4)
Eco-efficient and safe transport for people
and goods, including waste
Challenge 5 (C5)
Challenge 6 (C6)
Boosting the competitiveness of the mobility industry
Challenge 7 (C7)
Shaping the framework for regulatory and behavioural change
Challenge 8 (C8)
EIT Urban Mobility across Europe
EIT Urban Mobility has formed five Innovation Hubs (Co-location Centres) across Europe:
- Copenhagen – CLC North (Denmark, Finland, Germany, Sweden, The Netherlands)
- Munich – CLC Central (Germany, Italy, Turkey)
- Helmond – CLC West (Belgium, France, The Netherlands, United Kingdom)
- Prague – CLC East (Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Israel)
- Barcelona – CLC South (Spain, Switzerland)
- EIT Urban Mobility's candidates for the EIT Jumpstarter Grand Final 18/11/2020
- Cross-KIC Activity on Artificial Intelligence: Key results presentation 18/11/2020
- Mobility Talks episode 7: "Sharing insights for shared mobility" 11/11/2020
- EIT Climate-KIC leads collective efforts to accelerate Madrid’s transition towards carbon neutrality 09/11/2020
- EIT Urban Mobility Hackaton - InnovaCity Tel Aviv-Yafo 06/11/2020
- EIT Urban Mobility Hackaton - InnovaCity Helsinki 06/11/2020
19 Nov 2019
PRESS RELEASE: Launch of EIT Urban Mobility in Barcelona to transform Europe’s cities into liveable places
- Document:PRESS RELEASE: Launch of EIT Urban Mobility in Barcelona to transform Europe’s cities into liveable placesDocument Image:
- 19 Nov 2019
- 07 Oct 2019
- 30 Sep 2019
24 Jan 2019
A vision of the future: presenting EIT Manufacturing and EIT Urban Mobility
06 Dec 2018
Press release: EIT announces two winning innovation communities in manufacturing and urban mobility