Global manufacturing Innovation will be led by Europe
Made by Europe – winner of EIT Manufacturing – is a consortium of 50 partners from 17 countries, including Volvo, Tecnalia, Technical University of Vienna, CEA (French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission), Siemens, the Slovak University of Technology and Whirlpool EMEA. George Chryssolouris from the University of Patras, the key coordinating partner, said: ‘We are excited to win. Our objective is to boost the global competitiveness and attractiveness of Europe’s manufacturing sector by championing radical innovation and entrepreneurial talent.’
Goals & Impact
EIT Manufacturing’s mission is to bring European manufacturing actors together in innovation ecosystems that add unique value to European products, processes, services – and inspire the creation of globally competitive and sustainable manufacturing.
EIT Manufacturing has six strategic objectives:
- Excellent manufacturing skills and talents: adding value through an upskilled workforce and engaged students.
- Efficient manufacturing innovation ecosystems: adding value through creating ecosystems for innovation, entrepreneurship and business transformation focused on innovation hotspots.
- Full digitalisation of manufacturing: adding value through digital solutions and platforms that connect value networks globally.
- Customer-driven manufacturing: adding value through agile and flexible manufacturing that meets global personalised demand.
- Socially sustainable manufacturing: adding value through safe, healthy, ethical and socially sustainable production and products.
- Environmentally sustainable manufacturing: adding value by making industry greener and cleaner.
EIT Manufacturing will establish an innovation community and build a network of ecosystems where people will acquire skills and encounter opportunities; and where innovators are able to attract investors and acquire venture capital.
By creating innovation hotspots, ideas and enabling technologies will be refined and connected to markets. These hotspots will generate value networks in Europe with the ambition of establishing global leadership in the high-value manufacturing arena. EIT Manufacturing will deploy an Enabling Technologies and Customer Radar that continuously monitors the emergence and development of enabling technologies.
This will be achieved by:
- Combining the strength of the partners and dynamic models for collaboration: allowing cross fertilisation across technologies and sectors as well as cooperation within the entire value system. The huge innovation potential does not come from this set-up alone, but also from a dedicated mechanism to bring forward mutual benefits from cooperation among start-ups, SMEs and established players representing customers and extensive networks in global markets.
- A unique network of world-class empowering assets: complement facilitating partners with a network of empowering assets made available by EIT Manufacturing’s renowned partners. These assets aim at testing, validating and scaling up new technologies, providing environments that bring the factory into the classroom, and the research lab to the factory, and allowing rapid prototyping of new ideas and exchanges between makers.
- Innovative, personalised and industry driven education solutions: establish the most ambitious learning platform in the manufacturing sector. This platform will combine learning-related facilities, and open access to digital learning content and tailor-made learning paths. It will connect learners with each other and link facilities and content.
- Novel approaches to identify and stimulate innovation hotspots and accelerate innovation: put tools and processes in place to identify and launch the most promising ideas and technologies. EIT Manufacturing will detect potential innovation hotspots by means of the Enabling Technologies and Customer Radar, a powerful digital tool for technology foresight and business intelligence.
- Creating gazelles to transform Europe: target existing manufacturing solution providers and seek to transform them through access to knowledge, technologies, customers and finance.
EIT Manufacturing across Europe
EIT Manufacturing has formed Innovation Hubs (Co-location Centres) five across Europe:
- Bilbao– CLC West (France, Portugal, Spain)
- Darmstadt – CLC Central (Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium)
- Gothenburg – CLC North (Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Lithuania, Ireland)
- Milan – CLC South (Italy, Switzerland)
- Vienna – CLC East (Switzerland, Greece, Slovakia, Austria)
Partners per Country
EIT Manufacturing brings together 50 leading partners from business, education, research as well as cities and regions.
- Austria: TU Wien, Atos, Magna, VoestalpineAustria
- Belgium: OCAS-ArcelorMittal
- Czech Republic: Czech Technical University
- Estonia: University of Tartu
- Finland: Aalto University
- France: CEA, CT-IPC, Arts et Métiers Paris Tech, Aerospace Valley, ESI Group, FIVES
- Germany: TU Braunschweig, TU Darmstadt, Bremer Institut für Produktion und Logistik, German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence, Festo, KUKA, Siemens, Stryker, Volkswagen
- Greece: Laboratory for Manufacturing Systems and Automation
- Italy: Polytechnic University of Milan, Polytechnic University of Turin, Arduino, Avio Aero, Brembo, COMAU, PRIMA, Whirpool Europe
- Ireland: University College Dublin
- Lithuania: LINPRA
- Portugal: Institute for Systems and Computer Engineering, Technology and Science, Sonae
- Slovakia: Slovak University of Technology, Spinea
- Spain: IK4 Research Alliance, Tecnalia, Aernnova, ITP Aero, Mondragon
- Sweden: Chalmers University of Technology, Research Institutes of Sweden, Sandvik Group, Volvo
- Switzerland: University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland
- The Netherlands: TU Delft, Accell Group
- EIT Manufacturing Match Making Event 2020 17/01/2020
- The future of manufacturing in Europe starts now! 18/11/2019
- Meet our new Innovation Community: EIT Manufacturing! 12/11/2019
- Celebrate EIT Manufacturing at their Inauguration Event 28/10/2019
- EIT Climate-KIC Climathon 10/10/2019
- EIT Manufacturing Partner Assembly in Paris 04/10/2019
- 07 Oct 2019
- 30 Sep 2019
24 Jan 2019
A vision of the future: presenting EIT Manufacturing and EIT Urban Mobility
06 Dec 2018
Press release: EIT announces two winning innovation communities in manufacturing and urban mobility