- Full Professor in Conservation at Uppsala University, Sweden;
- Professor (hon.) at Nanjing University in China;
- Faculty member at Turin Faculty of Development (Politecnico di Torino and Università degli Studi di Torino);
He is also:
- ICOMOS Advisory Committee Officer;
- Secretary-General for ICOMOS International Scientific Committee on Economics of Conservation;
- Vice chairman of the expert panel for European Heritage Label (appointed by the European Commission).
He is currently a member of:
- the Task Force Bureau, an international expert group with the aim to achieve a coordinated and effective process of advocacy for the localization and monitoring of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and UN-Habitat’s New Urban Agenda;
- EU DG Research and Innovation’s steering committee for Innovators on Cultural Heritage;
- the advisory board for the EU Horizon 2020 research project Ruritage – Cultural heritage as a driver for rural sustainable growth
He has been a member of:
- the European Commission’s expert panel for a European Agenda for cultural heritage research and innovation (“Getting Heritage to Work for Europe”);
- the expert panel to analyse of the potential future European Institute for Innovation and Technology thematic areas, societal challenges and their innovation potential; and their suitability for an EIT-Knowledge and Innovation Centre model;
- the expert panel appointed by the EU Commission for evaluating new Flagships in Horizon 2020;
- several of the European Commission’s expert panels concerning research and innovation, culture and cultural heritage issues, e.g. EU-China Mayors Forum, EU-Africa Summit, several EU presidency cultural heritage conferences;
- the Board of Directors for Cultural Heritage without Borders.
His trans-disciplinary research is focusing on boundary-spanning challenges and opportunities for cultural heritage as a driver for sustainable growth and heritage-led innovation-driven regional/urban development. At the moment, he is engaged in the EU Horizon 2020 project CLIC - Circular Models Leveraging Investments in Cultural heritage adaptive reuse as well as research on Fields of Creative Powers. He was also one of the founders of the Halland Model.