Discover the fascinating world of food science and feel empowered to make safe, healthy, and sustainable food choices.
Food and health information is often oversimpliﬁed by the media, and recommendations can be inaccurately reported and contradictory to current recommendations.
By understanding and learning more about what’s in our food, we can make smarter, more sustainable, and healthier food choices. On this course, you’ll access trustworthy information on the food system from food industry experts.
You’ll cover topics like food contaminants, food safety, ethical issues, and food sustainability considerations so that you can become a responsible partner in the food system.
The course focuses on:
- Food Constituents
- The link between diet and health
- Food Integrity (food quality, safety and authenticity)
- Ethical and sustainability considerations in the food system
- The role of the consumer in making safe, healthy and sustainable food choices
Who should join the course
This course is designed for anyone interested in food and looking for reliable information on how to make safer, healthier and more sustainable food choices.
It will be particularly useful for final year schools students undertaking a food-related subject or interested in food science as a potential career pathway.
The course will be available all year round from 2022 onwards.
Learning objectives and outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the term food integrity
- Explore ethical and sustainability issues surrounding food production
- Assess how the consumer is protected by legislation
- Explain how food can become contaminated by biological, chemical or physical hazards
- Identify the role of the consumer in ensuring food safety and becoming change agents in the transition towards a smart, inclusive and trusted food system
- Reflect on the work organisations are doing in relation to food safety e.g. EFSA
How to join the course?
This course is available now on FutureLearn.