Find out how your food is processed before it reaches your plate.
The course focuses on:
- The history of food processing – why it emerged and why it is important;
- Examples of the major traditional and more advanced food processing technologies and the products they affect;
- Consideration of the advantages and disadvantages of specific food processing technologies, their impact on health, safety, quality and sustainability; and
- How EU law keeps the consumer safe and healthy and food on the supermarket shelves
Who should join the course
This course is for anyone interested in learning more about the food they eat.
The course will have multiple runs from 2022 onwards.
Learning objectives and outcomes
Once completed, participants will be able to:
- Explore the principles of food processing and gain an understanding of both traditional and modern industrial techniques;
- Justify the importance of food processing to society in terms of health, safety, quality and sustainability;
- Engage with the debate on how beneficial certain processing techniques are to human health;
- Evaluate EU law and regulations;
- Reflect on the challenges of feeding growing populations safely and sustainably
How to join the course?
This course is available now on FutureLearn.